Saturday, June 23, 2007

JICA

One of my new friends here in Kigali is a Japanese woman named Fumio who works at Gisimba Memorial Center, the orphanage where I've been doing most of my teaching work. Fumio is here with a group called JICA, which is a Japanese version of the Peace Corps. Last weekend I went with her to meet about a dozen other JICA volunteers for a Japanese culture festival they put on at a local school. I lived in Japan for four years and speak the language, so it was great to hang out with the JICA kids and reconnect to the culture. But it messed with the Rwandan school kids. They got very confused when they heard me speaking Japanese, and kept coming up and squinting into my eyes to see if I was Japanese or not.



Pre-game.


Showing off some Japanese culture.


Showing off, uh, Japanese culture?


That's better. Masa teaches at the Fawe school. Here he shows off some Kendo moves.


MEN!


Lining up for Kanji "tatoos."


Tatoo artist at work.


Kanji lessons.


Kimono fashion show.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home